Coloring is a great activity that promotes anxiety reduction and improves focus and attention. Just like meditation, coloring also allows us to switch off our brains from other thoughts and focus only on the moment, helping to alleviate free-floating anxiety – plus it’s an activity that the whole family can do together. My son colors everyday.
Jennifer Zimmermann, a visual arts educator in the public schools of the Detroit, MI metro area, and a twice published coloring book author agrees. “Everyone needs an outlet to de-stress. Art is therapeutic. Coloring is zen.”
Many hospitals and doctors’ offices are adding coloring supplies to their waiting areas. Neurologist, Daniel P. Singer of Farmington Hills recommends coloring to his patients.
Adult coloring books are having a moment and there are lots of great options out there from animals, to nature to maps of cities. Since the initial boom a few years back, the market has changed and more people are buying indie artists’ books on Amazon, rather than traditionally published books in brick & mortar stores.
Here are some coloring book ideas to get you started:
- Dinosaur Coloring Book
- Flower Mandala Coloring Book
- Chibi Animal Coloring Book
- Flowers for Beginners Coloring Book
- Large Print Beautiful Patterns Coloring Book
- Railroad Engines from Around the World Coloring Book
- Famous Trains Coloring Book
- Good Vibes Only Coloring Book
- Color by Numbers Large Print Coloring Book